Voluntary services in Germany are called
Freiwilliges Soziales Jahr (FSJ) or Bundesfreiwilligendienst (BFD).
In the field of culture and education you find the FSJ Kultur, the FSJ Schule, and the FSJ Politik for people under 27 years and the BFD Kultur und Bildung for people over 27 years.
Our voluntary services address everybody, you don’t have to be German and you don’t have to currently live in Germany to participate.
A voluntary service in the field of culture and education means:
Adults voluntarily help in a cultural, political institution or a school for at least half a year.
The cultural institution might be a theatre, a museum or a library.
The political institution might be a memorial sites, foundations or a parliamentary group.
Schools might be elementary schools, secondary schools or comprehensive schools.
In the framework of a voluntary service you can:
- becoming part of a team with other people,
- do tasks you like to do,
- familiarize yourself with the working routines of different kinds of professions,
- try out which professional tasks and activities fit best for you,
- plan and realize your own projects and events,
- find out which professional training or area of study you would like to choose.